Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
PyStar Philly: Introduction to Python for women and their friends
Saturday, September 24, 2011 from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM (EDT)
WORKSHOP POSTPONED UNTIL SEPTEMBER 24!
Would you like to learn Python in a friendly environment? Join us for an Introduction to Python Workshop on Saturday, September 24 to get started learning this amazingly intuitive programming language. This PyStar Philly workshop will be at The Hacktory, a fantastic space for technologists, artists, and DIYers at 1524 Brandywine Street.
PyStar events are targeted at women who are new to programming, but all skill levels and interests are welcome. Our morning lecture covers Python basics, and our afternoon session includes projects at the beginner and advanced beginner levels. We'll contact you before the workshop to get a sense of your experience with Python and programming. Please note: You must bring a laptop to the workshop.
Python Teachers and Guides
If you sign up as a Python teacher or guide, we'll contact you before the workshop to discuss how you would like to participate. We're looking for volunteers to plan and lead afternoon projects, circulate among students to answer questions, and help with installation of Python and text editors on student laptops. You don't have to be an expert to help others learn Python! We encourage PyStar Philly workshop alums to return as Python guides.
Rough schedule (based on the Boston Python Workshop):
- Morning setup, 9:30am-10am: Arrive at workshop location, get checked in & meet the volunteers. We'll help you set up your laptop so that you're ready to start programming. The morning session starts promptly at 10am.
- Morning session, 10am-noon: Introduction from the PyStar organizers. Overview of the basics of Python with practice exercises.
- Lunch, noon-1pm: Food provided by an awesome sponsor!
- Afternoon session, 1pm-4pm: We'll break into groups for some project-based Python practice. You can also use this time to work through exercises on your own. The volunteers are here to help!
- Wrap-up, 4pm-4:30pm: Discussion of next steps & upcoming opportunities for practicing Python.